Saturday, October 19, 2013

Please Give Your Dearest Husband a Pass

  This may be a post full of stereotypes and assumptions, but here goes.  And I mean this in all silliness-sort of.
Everyone once in a while, just give your husband a pass.  Like when he forgets something important, or not important in the grand scheme of things.  When he's messy, or leaves his socks on the floor, or is just forgetful of the details.  Here's why.  His intentions and his motives are probably not to piss you off or make you feel bad, ruin your day.  He's not dumb.  Assume that his intentions are upright.  Assume the best of him, not the worst.  Why?  Cause he's not your enemy, but your partner, your teammate.  And how do I know this?  Well, cause most of the time, I am the forgetful husband.
Really.
This past monday was our 13th anniversary.  I know when our anniversary is, I love Scott, I am a woman, and I'm supposed to love romance.  But when Monday rolled around, guess who forgot to buy at least a card?  Or even have a plan for my man? ME.  Yes, I'm hanging my head in sorrow and shame, because I stink.  And then when the doorbell rang and a man delivered flowers to me from my beloved.  Who was it that frantically texted a friend for ideas as to what to do for him?  That was me.  And trust me, its not because I forgot entirely, nor because I don't care about him or love him.  I love that man more than any other person on this planet.  You might think its because I'm selfish or thoughtless, but that's not the case.  Most times when it comes to gifts for Scott, I often come up with nothing.  I lack imagination and creativity when it comes to things for him.  And I am distracted.  So distracted.  When I clean or cook or do anything that requires multiple steps or planning, it takes me so long.  Little people call my name.  I see something dirty, the sofa calls my name, a smell calls me to a diaper to change.  "I'm distracted", is an understatement.  ( In writing this post, I've stopped and started so many times, its taken the whole afternoon to write).  I thought about our anniversary many days in advance.  I contemplated surprises, and awesome gifts, but forgot most of my brilliant ideas the next day.  How does this happen?  For Christmas presents I started a list of ideas on my phone to remind me.  But at the moment, there's nothing on that list cause the awesome iOS update deleted all my apps, and their info.  Nice excuse right?
 Scott and I have many role reversals when it comes to male and female roles.  I guess I'm the lucky one here.  Actually, I know I am.  He does our laundry cause I'm not so detail oriented and I leave the clothes in the dryer too long.  He's the neat one.  I'm more of a free spirit shall we say.  My memory is fleeting, and his is not.  I heard Q tell his brothers that "Mom has a bad memory.  She can only remember when she was a kid, not what happened yesterday."  And that is the darn truth.  So when Scott gets frustrated that I forgot to get him the deodorant he needed, I hope he knows its not cause I don't love him or that he knows that I am not really dumb.  He does show me grace when these things occur.  I hope that I in turn show him grace for these things too.  And I beg you to give your husband a pass, if he happens to be be like me.  Trust me, I don't enjoy being the one that forgets.


No comments: